PECAN PIE MACARONS
About this time, last year, I took a wonderful Macaron Workshop with Helene of Tartelette. Since then, I've made many different kinds and if you haven't tried making them yet Helene has an update to her wonderful tutorial (just click here).
I've actually been tinkering with this particular flavor idea (a macaron with the taste combo of Mama's Pecan Pie) since Thanksgiving and here it is March. Of course, being from the South; any day is Pecan Pie day.
RECIPE: PECAN PIE MACARON
(Macaron ingredients are adapted from "Tartlette" and the ingredients are in weights as that's the most accurate measure here, but you can also use a conversion chart online : here is one)
90 g. Egg Whites
200 g. Powdered Sugar
60 g. ground almonds
50 g. ground pecans
25 g. brown sugar
1) In a large bowl, sieve the ground almonds, ground pecans and powdered sugar.
2) In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until foamy and slightly stiff, then add in brown sugar and continue to whip until stiff.
3) Fold the dry ingredients into the whipped whites, incorporating completely until the consistency is like lava.
4) Fill a large pastry bag with the macaron lava and pipe small even rounds onto a silpat or parchment covered baking sheet.
**Optional- Sprinkle lightly with minced pecans
5) Allow them to set out to dry the tops for 30-45 minutes.6) Cook in a preheated oven 300F for about 18 minutes.
PECAN CARAMEL FILLING:
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbls. water
2 Tbls. Butter
1/3 cup Cream
Pinch of nutmeg and cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1) In a saucepan, heat the sugar and water on low, stir until the sugar dissolves.
2) Continue to cook on Med. without stirring, until amber colored.
3) Carefully stir in the butter and cream (adjust the cream to your desired thickness) then stir in nuts.Allow to cool, then use as filling in Pecan Pie Macarons.