This recipe may look like just an excuse to drink a glass of wine, but sometimes a glass of wine is just an excuse to eat a cracker, or a bread stick...or a box of chocolates. Not you or me, but for some people.
Actually, these easy elegant bread sticks have come in handy several times for serving with soup, cheese plates, and for kids' snacking. In fact, I've had friends join in making these on the spur of the moment and they had a lot of fun trying different spices, seeds and shapes.Of course you could also make your own puff pastry for these, but the "Simple Saturday" version uses store bought boxed puff pastry with great success.
It will take about 15 minutes to do the whole thing. While they bake, let your Pinot Noir breathe, let your soup cool for sipping or get your kids to wash the flour off their hands. By then, these buttery crisp sticks of flaky melt-in-your-mouth bread wands will be ready to perform their magic.
Recipe: Bread Stick Quickies
1 Sheet Puff Pastry (ie. Pepperidge Farm)
Flour for dusting and handling
*Optional ingredients depending on your preference*
2 Tbls Cinnamon, 2 Tbls Sugar mixed
3 Tbls. Shredded Cheese
2 Tbls Sesame Seeds, Pinch of Sea Salt
1) Divide the sheet into 3 parts (Pepperidge Farm has this done in folds already.)
2) Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness OR use a pasta machine to roll the dough out thin.
3) Sprinkle with *ingredients to your taste. Fold the dough over twice length wise, creating a long narrow strip.
4) Sprinkle with flour for ease, roll the dough out again into a thin sheet. Using a Pizza cutter, the pasta machine or a knife, cut into long thin strips.
5) Place the strips on a parchment lined baking sheet, try to keep them from touching.
6) Bake in preheated 425F oven for about 5-8 minutes.
Make a few or make a bundle. I'd love to hear about your ideas for flavors. May all your Saturdays be simply wonderful :D