Finally,the weather is turning warm, even in Chicago where I'm visiting right now.
It's Memorial Weekend, I've been to three baseball games, and my fitbit steps are the only thing balancing all the food I've consumed.
It's a food-lover's dream and a night-life for all ages.
|The Purple Pig|
In the heartland city of Chicago, I'm reminded of the true meaning behind Memorial Day, a time to honor those who died while in military service. It has also become the marker for the beginning of summer (with Labor Day being the end.)
If you have a picnic coming up this season, or need an easy potluck offering, or just a quick morning cake or dessert - this Honey Cinnamon Hot Milk Cake is the answer.
This is a simple, moist and easy to "freeze for later" cake. It can be dressed up with butter cream, topped with berries or just sprinkled with powdered sugar before slicing it up and serving it up. Having one of these on hand is a "super summer time saver". Hope you'll love it. Happy Summer!
Honey Cinnamon Hot Milk Cake with Berries - ShowFoodChef:
(butter and flour 8 or 9 inch cake pan, preheat oven 350F)
1 1/3 cup Flour
1 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup Whole Milk
4 Tbls (1/2 stick) Butter
2 Large Eggs
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Honey
1 tsp. Vanilla
1) In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Hold.
2) In a saucepan, heat the milk and butter until melted. Remove from heat and hold.
3) In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, sugar and honey for 5 full minutes.
4) Add the vanilla and milk-butter by pouring into the egg mixture while continuing to beat for 2 more minutes.
5) Fold, then stir the dry ingredients into the liquid. The batter will be like pancake batter.
6) Pour into a buttered and floured 8 or 9 inch cake pan. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes, just til the center is done. Do not overbake. Turn out to a cooling rack.
7) Drizzle with honey if desired and arrange sliced berries on top. Garnish with powdered sugar or whipped cream (optional.)