Now, that's dangerous.
This is my newest offering for this year's World Nutella Day that happens every year on February 5th. Recipe lovers all over the world share a favorite idea using Nutella and contribute to my growing collection (and waist line.)
This itty-bitty pie is so simple to make and the cookie crumble on the top is the same as the pie shell, so no extra time is needed there either. If you prefer, you can make these bigger for a perfect individual dessert or keep them mini for the perfect lunch pack surprise or party pleaser.The crust is a sugar cookie recipe that is my GO-TO because it's easy, but also makes a great blank slate to add your own flavor ideas or topping creations.
See more Nutella recipe ideas at World Nutella Day (created by MisAdventuresInItaly.com and BleedingEspresso.com.)
Recipe: Nutella Filled Cookie Pies
Sugar Cookie Crust and Crumble~
3 cups AP Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
8 ounces Butter (room temperature)
1 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla
*optional - finely chopped candied orange peel
1) In a mixing bowl, beat the sugar and butter.
2) Add the egg and vanilla, beat until batter is smooth, about 2 minutes.
3) Mix together the Flour, baking powder and salt, then add this to the butter batter. (If using candied orange peel, add now.)
4) When mixed well, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for about 20 minutes (up to overnight.)
Nutella Filled Cookie Pies:
1) Roll out cookie dough to about 1/4 inch. Cut into circles a little bigger than the opening in your mini muffin pan. Gently press the cutouts into the muffin tin to form a crust. Save the leftover pieces of cookie dough for the crumble on top.*You can also pinch off pieces of the dough and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter to press into the muffin tins to make a crust.2) Gather up the dough scraps and roll them in your fingers to use as crumble. The pieces should be about the size of peas or smaller.3) Drop about a teaspoon of Nutella into each cookie pie shell, top with cookie dough crumble (you can also add a few grains of Sea Salt.)4) Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 8-10 minutes. Don't over cook because the Nutella will get too firm. Allow to cool for a few moments and then carefully remove cookie pies to cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. These held well in an air tight container for a few days.
Happy World Nutella Day and every day~