Cauliflower-Crumb-Coated Chicken Rollatini
My daughter is often an inspiration to me and others. Her recent adventure into "clean eating" has me trying to be more creative with simple, clean meals. I love a personal chef challenge.
One of my catering clients is gluten free, so I added that to my voluntary challenge and voila - Cauliflower Crumb Coating.
I love these as a salad topping, which I learned from other food-lovers. And, right when I thought I couldn't love Cauliflower more- now it also stands in for bread crumbs. The added bonus; Cauliflower is also good fiber, cancer fighting, anti-inflammatory, packed with B vitamins and aids in digestion. Well, yeah!
To make a good rollatini, make sure to pound out the chicken to an even paillard.
Layer your filling,leaving some edges clear for folding.
Secure the ends and flap with 3 toothpicks (to be taken out before eating.)
We served this for dinner, but I have to say the chilled version for lunch the next day was a hit, too.
Chicken Rollatini with Quinoa, Goat Cheese, & Kale in Cauliflower Crumbs
1 cup Cauliflower pieces
Pinch of Paprika, Salt & Pepper
¼ tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 chicken breast fillets (pounded between plastic wrap to 1/8” thickness)
1 Roasted Red Pepper cut in 4 slices
1 cup Cooked Quinoa
2 oz. Goat cheese
½ cup chopped Kale
1 egg white – whipped till foamy
Lightly oil an 8x8 Baking Dish and set aside.
1) In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower, paprika, salt, pepper and thyme till crumbs. Pour into a flat bowl and save.
2) In a small bowl, stir together the quinoa, goat cheese, kale and seasoning. Hold.
3) On each flattened chicken breasts lay a red pepper piece, and then spread a small layer of the quinoa mixture.
4) Roll each chicken breast up, being careful to contain the filling. Use 3 toothpicks; one to close each side and end flap.
5) Dip each Rollatini in foamy egg white, then roll or press on the Cauliflower crumbs and set the chicken side by side in the prepared baking dish.
6) Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Allow to sit for 5minutes, then serve whole or sliced. This is also good chilled or room temp.